If you’re a Medicare beneficiary looking to stay active and healthy, you may have heard of SilverSneakers. The fitness program is designed specifically for seniors and offers a variety of exercise classes and equipment at participating gyms across the country. But is SilverSneakers a part of Medicare? We’ll explore the answer to that question and more!
What is SilverSneakers?
SilverSneakers is a fitness program designed for seniors age 65 and older. The program offers access to a variety of fitness classes, including yoga, cardio, strength training, and more. It also provides access to fitness equipment at participating gyms across the country.
In addition to helping seniors stay active and healthy, SilverSneakers also offers social opportunities for its members. Many gyms offer social events and activities, such as book clubs and potlucks, for SilverSneakers members.
Is SilverSneakers a part of Medicare?
While SilverSneakers is not part of Medicare, many Medicare Advantage plans offer it as a benefit to their members. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan that offers SilverSneakers, you can enroll in the program at no additional cost.
If you have Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), you will not have access to SilverSneakers. However, you may be able to find similar fitness programs in your community that are available to seniors at a low or no cost.
How to Enroll in SilverSneakers
If you have a Medicare Advantage plan that offers SilverSneakers, enrolling in the program is easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Check if your Medicare Advantage plan offers SilverSneakers. You can check with your plan’s customer service department or check your plan’s summary of benefits.
- If your plan offers SilverSneakers, visit the SilverSneakers website to find a participating gym near you.
- Call the gym to confirm that they accept SilverSneakers and to schedule your first visit.
- Bring your SilverSneakers ID card to the gym on your first visit. You can request a card from your Medicare Advantage plan or print one from the SilverSneakers website.
- Enjoy your workouts! You can attend as many SilverSneakers classes as you like at no additional cost.
If you do not have a Medicare Advantage plan that offers SilverSneakers, you may be able to find a similar fitness program in your community. Many local community centers and YMCAs offer low-cost or free fitness classes for seniors. Check with your local senior center or community center to see what programs are available in your area.
Unfortunately, SilverSneaker is not part of Medicare but it is offered as a benefit by many Medicare Advantage plans. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan that offers SilverSneakers, you can enjoy access to a variety of fitness classes and equipment at no additional cost. If you do not have access to SilverSneakers, you may be able to find similar fitness programs in your community. Staying active and healthy is an important part of aging, and programs like SilverSneakers can help seniors achieve their fitness goals.